Answer: Because they get dirty!
In addition to normal accumulations of dust and dirt found in all homes through regular use, there are several other factors that can increase the need for air duct cleaning:
- Occupants with allergies or asthma
- Cigarette or cigar smoke
- Water contamination or damage to the home / HVAC system
- Home renovation or remodeling projects
Dirty air ducts can cause allergies as well as stale odors in your home or office. Over time, pollutants, mold and bacteria from dirt, pollen, tobacco smoke, pet hair and dust mites collect in the duct work of your home or office heating and cooling system. Every time your furnace or air conditioner is turned on, these particles are blown through the vents and spewed into the air you breathe.
Some occupants are more sensitive to these contaminants than others. Allergy and asthma sufferers, as well as young children and the elderly tend to be more susceptible to the types of poor indoor air quality that air duct cleaning can help to address.
The Clean Air People by FRESHX can rid your ducts of build-up using a vast array of heavy-duty cleaning equipment and our 12 step cleaning process. We will for capture and remove a vast range of interior HVAC debris to help you breathe clean and healthy air.
How Your Air Duct System Works
Inspect Your Air Ducts
You can tell if your heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system needs cleaning by one of two ways. First, with a screwdriver, remove a floor or wall register. Then:
- Use a small mirror and flashlight -or-
- Use a digital camera or smartphone to take a picture inside the duct
What You Need to Know About Duct Cleaning
Air duct cleaning is a misnomer. In actuality, the entire HVAC (heating, ventilating, and air conditioning) system should be cleaned. Failure to clean all components of the system can result in re-contamination of the entire system, thus minimizing the benefits of cleaning.
Just as you wouldn’t only clean half of your living room floor, you also would not want to clean only part of your heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. NADCA recommends cleaning the entire HVAC system, including the following components:
There are a few things that you can do to maintain the cleanliness and efficiency of your HVAC system:
- Get good filters — ask FRESHX for a recommendation.
- Clean/change the filters as needed (at least every two months).
- Even with properly cleaning and changing quality filters, the HVAC system will still become dirty over time. Have your system inspected every two years to determine whether your system needs to be cleaned again.
Cost and Time Estimates
- There are several factors that affect cost and time estimates: type of ductwork, size of the system, system accessibility, the number of crew members, level of contamination, and even environmental factors.
- Properly cleaning an HVAC system in an average-sized home may cost upward of $1000 USD.
- Beware of advertisements that have “whole house specials” for very low prices. Many of them only include the main ducts and charge extra for the air handler, blower fans, coils, registers and cutting access. Upon arrival many of these companies then up-charge to excessive amounts.
Have a Healthy Home The FRESHX Way